International Beer Day 2019
2 August 2019
A Few Funny Facts About Beer
On International Beer Day impress your friends and loved ones with your never-ending knowledge of all things beer.
- Ancient Egyptians built the pyramids while consuming a healthy amount of beer. About 4 liters a day, to be exact. I always knew it helped with creativity.
- Ancient Babylonians took the seriousness of brewing to a whole new level. If a bad batch was made the brewer was drowned in it. At least it didn't go to waste.
- Vikings believed that a giant goat resided in Valhalla whose udders were filled with an unlimited supply of beer. Sounds like heaven to me.
- The Czech Republic is the beer drinking capital of the world. Each Czech drinks an average of 40 gallons a year. My flight to Prague is booked.
- Beer does a body good! It contains a high level of silicon which increases the calcium deposits and minerals for healthy bone tissue. Feel free to keep pouring that beer over your Fruit Loops.
- Beer keeps your kidneys healthy! A Finnish study showed that each bottle of beer you drink reduces the risk of developing kidney stones by 40%.
- Beer is full of vitamins! It contains several B vitamins (B1, B2, B6 and B12). A Dutch study found that beer drinkers had 30 percent higher levels of vitamin B6 than their non-drinking study participants, and levels twice as high as wine drinkers. Beer is also a generous source of vitamin B12!
- Several international research papers have found that those who consume moderate amounts of alcohol live longer than those who do not drink at all. At an average 4.4% alcohol content and light and mid-strength options to boot, Aussie beer is the drink of moderation!
- In 4300BC Babylonians wrote out recipes for beer on clay tablets.
- In 2018, archaeologists in Israel found the world's oldest site for alcohol production, adding the beer-like beverage may have been served in ceremonies 13,000 years ago. It is the earliest testament in the world to alcohol production of any kind.
Previous Past Events:
14/7/2019 Darwin Lions Beer Can Regatta